Fire at Dayton tree-trimming business traced to unattended wood stove

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
FROM SCENE: Dayton business catches fire

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 7:50 p.m.: The fire that damaged a tree-trimming and landscaping business on Neva Drive was caused by wood stacked too close to an unattended wood stove, Dayton Fire District Chief Brad Baldwin said.

Employees had left Ace Tree Service & Landscaping, 1960 Neva Drive, for the day, Baldwin said. That was about 4:30 p.m. Someone in the neighborhood noticed smoke coming from the building about 90 minutes later.

"Some of the wood got too close to the stove and caught fire," the district chief said.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Mom asks for second sanity evaluation

Dayton crews were able to put out the fire before it spread to three vehicles stored inside the metal warehouse structure.

The fire didn't cause a whole lot of damage, Baldwin said, noting there was some damage to the rear of the building.

No injuries were reported.

INITIAL REPORT

Crews are on the scene of a structure fire at a business in the 1900 block of Neva Drive, believed to be a tree-trimming service.

There are several vehicles in the structure as well.

Dayton crews were dispatched just before 6 p.m. on a report of a working structure fire.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Girl, 12, says movie inspired her to bring fentanyl to school

There are no reports of any injuries.

We will update this developing report as information is released to us.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

About the Author