Homeowner did not have working smoke detector when living room caught fire

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

caption arrowCaption
Harrison Twp. fire

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 2:15 a.m (Oct. 16.):  Fire officials said a house that caught fire Sunday night did not have working smoke detectors.

TRENDING: Vehicle entrapment in Enon: Dayton News

Officials said the homeowner was inside the home when it caught fire late Sunday night, but was able get out and run to a nearby house where the 12-year-old neighbor called 9-1-1.

RELATED: Vacant home destroyed after it explodes in Dayton

The individual escaped without injuries and was checked by medics for smoke inhalation. The man’s living room had caught fire.

Fire crews encourage everyone to check their smoke detectors, especially with winter around the corner.

“If they’re not in working order, contact your local fire department”, said Sean McNeil, Harrison Township Battalion Chief. “A lot of them have smoke detectors that they give out”.

Officials are still working to find out what started the fire.

FIRST REPORT

Harrison Twp. firefighters responded to a house fire in the 300 block of Loretta Drive Sunday night.

The fire started in the living room, possibly on a chair or couch, around 10:45 p.m. and had visible flames, per initial reports.

One person was inside when the fire occurred, but was able to escape without injuries.

The Red Cross was called to the scene because the individual will not be able to stay in the home overnight, according to officials.

Officials continue to investigate what started the fire.

We will continue to update this story as details develop.

About the Author