• by purchasing needed food and personal hygiene products for donation while shopping at stateside commissaries, or bringing items from home and dropping them off at donation bins at the store;
• by purchasing prepackaged donation bags available in stateside commissaries for less than $10. The bags include Freedom’s Choice products such as canned meat, pasta meals, popcorn and water.
Once collected, installation officials work with the commissary to deliver donations to local food banks.
Some of the most-needed items include:
• Canned vegetables – low sodium, or no salt
• Canned fruits – in light syrup or their own juices
• Canned proteins – tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter and beans
• Soups – beef stew, chili, chicken, turkey or rice
• Condiments – tomato-based sauces, light soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing or oils
• Snacks – individually packed snacks, trail mix, dried fruit, granola and cereal bars
• Multigrain cereals
• 100% juice – all sizes, including juice boxes
• Grains – brown and white rice, oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, couscous, pasta, and macaroni and cheese
• Paper products and household items – paper towels, napkins and cleaning supplies
• Hygiene items – diapers, deodorants, feminine products, toilet paper, soap, toothpaste and shampoo
For more information on this campaign, go to the U.S. Department of Agriculture website: https://fedsfeedfamilies.ocio.usda.gov/.