A house fire late Thursday night is believed to have started because of a discarded cigarette and leaving a family without a home.
Dayton crews were dispatched to 956 Burleigh Ave. at about 11:15 p.m. on a report of a structure fire.
Smoke filled the neighborhood and we're told that flames were still showing from the rear of the house near midnight.
According to Dayton District Fire Chief James Rose, the homeowner said that her uncle like to smoke outside and did not extinguish his cigarette properly.
When firefighters arrived, a large section of the floor was caved in, making it difficult to make entry into the home. The fire spread quickly into walls, moving to the attic space. "Almost got away from us but we were able to save the roof from burning," said Rose.
The home is a total loss. The family living in the home, two to three children and two adults, will stay with family.
Rose said that the extreme temperatures caused them to slow down because equipment becomes hard to move and use.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.