Clayton fire caused by electricity returning to home

UPDATE @ 3 a.m.:

Clayton Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Seagraves said that the Clayton home fire was a small fire likely caused by power being restored to the house.

Fire crews found a small fire in the basement that had filled the house with smoke, and quickly extinguished the flames. They then checked the house for any occupants and further flames, but found none.

Nobody was injured.

Seagraves said that fires like this are common when electricity is restored to an area. He said that when the power turns on, equipment can fail and small motors can overheat, particularly in furnaces, air conditioning units, and water heaters.

He recommended that residents who recently got their power back on check their appliances to see that they are working correctly, and if not to turn off the power and call the fire department.

Crews from Clayton, Trotwood, Harrison, Englewood, and Vandalia responded to the fire.


Fire fighters are responding to a house fire at a house in the 7900 block of Northland Court in Clayton.

Officials report that heavy smoke was visible when they arrived on scene, but couldn’t see any flames.

We have a crew en route, and will update here with more information.

About the Author