QUANTICO, VA – To celebrate the 45th Marine Corps Marathon, the fee to register for the event has been reduced by 4.5 percent over the 2019 cost from $180 to $171.90. Active-duty military registrants will receive an additional 10 percent discount during the active-duty registration period. The MCM50K, MCM10K and Kids Race cost will remain the same as 2019 prices.
Breaking with tradition, race director Rick Nealis announced details about next year’s finisher’s medal. It was announced that actual volcanic ash, often referred to as black sand from the island of Iwo Jima, will be contained inside next year’s medal to commemorate the tradition of the “The Peoples Marathon,” leading to the 45th anniversary.
Mark your calendars for these registration dates:
• MCM Four Star – Open now
• Semper Fi Challenge – Open until Nov. 10
• MCM50K – Open Feb. 23
• MCM Runners Club, Deferment and Active Duty – Open March 2-13
• MCM lottery – Open March 18-31
• Lottery announcement – April 1
• 10K and Kids Run – Open April 13
• The MCM Four Star Registration Package offers a bundle of benefits starting with guaranteed entries to the 2020 MCM. This comprehensive bundle includes entries, hotel nights, hospitality, transportation and more. Choose from packages based on length of stay, days of the week and one or two runners. All packages include a guaranteed MCM or MCM50K entry. Two runner package options offer a second entry for any of the MCM Weekend events.
• The Semper Fi Challenge is a new registration path that guarantees MCM entry for up to 4,000 runners when they sign up for the two-event challenge that includes entry into both the Marine Corps Historic Half marathon hosted in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the Marine Corps Marathon. Entrants can register for either the Historic Half or the Devil Dog Double on May 17, 2020, and for the MCM or the MCM50K on Oct. 25, 2020. Registration closes Nov. 11 or when all entries are purchased.
• Runners who have successfully completed at least five Marine Corps Marathons are eligible to join the MCM Runners Club. This group of motivated marathoners receives guaranteed annual access to MCM registration, during a designated period, eliminating any lottery uncertainty for these frequent runners. Newly eligible runners, who recently earned their fifth MCM finish, can join once MCM official results are published in November. Only those runners who join before Feb. 21 are eligible for access to the 2020 MCM.
About the Marine Corps Marathon
The Marine Corps Marathon, known as “The People’s Marathon,” promotes physical fitness and generates community goodwill while showcasing the high standards and discipline of the U.S. Marine Corps. Annually ranked as one of the largest marathons in the United States and the world, the MCM welcomes runners from all 50 states and more than 60 countries. The MCM is presented by Arlington County, Brooks, Cigna and Leidos. No federal or Marine Corps endorsement is implied. Connect with the Marine Corps Marathon on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flickr. #RunWithTheMarines
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.