Former officer who threatened to shoot police chief was captured at Mexico border

A former Dayton police detective serving jail time for threatening to shoot Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl was captured at the United States-Mexico border after a warrant was issued for her arrest.

Ginger Stutz, 54, was found guilty on an aggravated menacing charge earlier this month and sentenced to 180 days in jail with credit for 34 days.

ExploreEARLIER: Former Dayton officer jailed after threatening to shoot police chief

Stutz told her son Nov. 9 “if she had a gun on her right now, she would shoot Rick in the face right now, and we could visit her in prison,” a Miamisburg police report read.  The “Rick” Ginger was referring to was Biehl, the report read. Her son reported the crime to police.

Stutz used to work as a detective for the Dayton Police Department until her son said she was “forced” into retirement a couple years ago due to her mental issues, according to the report.

News Center 7 has requested records regarding Stutz’s previous employment with the city and are awaiting a response.

Her son told police “that due to his mother’s mental status, she believes that the Dayton Police Department, as well as the Chief, are ‘out to get her.’”

“The Dayton Police Department took it serious enough that they posted an officer outside of Chief Biehl’s residence,” the report read.

On Nov. 13, a Dayton police Sgt. reported that the officer posted at Biehl’s residence spotted a car that matched the description of Stutz’s.  The car pulled onto Biehl’s street and quickly left after the driver saw the officer’s cruiser outside the residence.

A Dayton police detective contacted Miamisburg Police to ask that they pursue charges against Stutz’s since her son’s phone call with her took place within Miamisburg city limits.  A warrant was issued for Stutz’s arrest on Nov. 14.

Biehl declined comment when contacted Wednesday about the case.

Police received information that Stutz may have been on her way to Mexico the same day the arrest warrant was issued.

On Nov. 20, border patrol agents stopped Stutz at the Mexican border and arrested her after agents tracked her vehicle trying to enter the country from Arizona.

She was taken to the Yuma County Detention Facility, where Dayton police arranged to have her returned to Dayton.

Stutz was convicted following a trial earlier this month.  As part of her sentence, Stutz also must have a mental health assessment and the recommended treatment.

She will be on electronic home monitoring for 60 days after her jail sentence is finished and will be on probation for two years.

Stutz is due back in court next week for a sentencing review hearing.

About the Author