Ohio AG sues local gravestone business, claims customers defrauded

The Ohio Attorney General’s Office is suing a Miami Twp. gravestone business, claiming it defrauded customers.

The consumer protection lawsuit by Dave Yost’s office alleges American Memorial Monuments and former owner Darren Boykin accepted payments for gravestones but never fulfilled the orders, according to the state.

American Memorial Monuments on Kingsridge Drive is the same business Miami Twp. police said earlier this year they fielded dozens of complaints about from across the region.

“Grieving families paid this business thousands of dollars to memorialize their loved ones but all they got in return was more grief,” Yost said in a released statement. “We’re going to bury this fellow’s alleged business.”

The lawsuit stems from 22 complaints submitted to Yost’s Consumer Protection Section since October 2017. The complaints blame the business for financial losses totaling $50,000.

POPULAR: Judge rules against prominent Dayton business man in EPA illegal dumping case

The lawsuit filed Monday in the Montgomery County Common Pleas Court argues that Boykin violated Ohio’s Consumer Sales Practices Act by misleading customers and failing to provide refunds.

In March, scores of people told police they were victims of the former co-owner of American Memorial Monuments. But Miami Twp. police said at the time the business itself was cooperating fully with the investigation.

Police said at that time they had received about 30 to 40 complaints from customers of the Kingsridge Drive business who have said they never received headstones they paid for in advance and mostly with cash, police said.

The phone number for the Miami Twp. business was not is no longer in service.

Many of the customers accuse the business of failing to deliver their gravestones. In some cases, customers received their orders but said the gravestones differed from their chosen designs, according to the AG’s office.

Others said their gravestones were not permitted at their selected cemeteries, despite the business assuring them otherwise, according to the attorney general’s office.

EARLIER: Sentencing delayed after accused shooter seeks to withdraw guilty plea

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X