RELATED: Mason-Montgomery Road widening web site
There is one other $4 million project on the county’s list, the widening Innovation Way in Deerfield Twp. In all county estimates put the total construction price tag just shy of $23.1 million in 2017.
The $21 million in upgrades planned by the Ohio Department of Transportation at the Western Row interchange jumps the total estimated public funds to be invested in Warren County road improvements this year to more than $44 million, not including culvert projects anticipated this year by the state in the fast-growing county.
RELATED: Western Row interchange web site
Next month, bids are to be sought on the Springboro project, part of more than $10 million in plans expected to transform Springboro's central intersection.
RELATED: City buys shopping center property
The widening of Innovation Way and Mason-Montgomery Road, designed to ease traffic congestion in the Mason-Deerfield area and the expanded Proctor & Gamble offices are to be put out to bid in February and April, respectively.
Once bids are accepted, the contractors can begin work, weather and construction schedules permitting.
In May, bids will go out for widening Duke Boulevard in Deerfield Twp., with a construction price tag of $1.7 million, also the estimated cost to build a roundabout and replace a bridge at Greentree Road at Union Road in Turtlecreek Twp., a mostly rural township expected to undergo residential growth in coming years.
The engineer’s office also plans to spend $2 million on repaving, $500,000 for chip sealing roads and $100,000 in striping of roads around the county, replace the Butterworth Road bridge over Ertel Run in Hamilton Twp. and New Burlington Road bridge in Wayne Twp., and rehabilitate the Pence Jones Road bridge in Wayne Twp.
Follow Lawrence Budd on the Twitter
Also a right-turn lane is to be added at Tylersville and Butler-Warren roads in Deerfield Twp. and improvements are coming to Zoar Road in Hamilton Twp and Turtlecreek-Union Road in Turtlecreek Twp., and pole foundations will be added for traffic signals on Wilkens Boulevard in Deerfield Twp.
Kurt Weber, an assistant county engineer, brought the Warren County Board of Commissioners up to date on the projects earlier this month.
They are to be financed and paid for with local, state and federal public funds coming from the transportation district managed by the county’ engineers office, local governments and other funds managed by County Engineer Neil Tunison’s office.
RELATED: Ohio 741-Ohio 73 project web site
Springboro is picking up most of the more than $10 million in funding for the crossroads road work.
With the land taken from Hughes, the project required acquisition of property on all four corners, including a Speedway gas station and convenience store on the southwest corner, across Ohio 741 (Main Street) from Hughes' office.
“The right of way was almost as expensive as the construction,” Weber told the commissioners.
On Friday, the city announced the contract for the construction is to be awarded at the end of May.
The road project and redevelopment expected to follow around the intersection are expected to ease traffic and revive the city center.
In the process, Hughes figures to lose 16 feet of property and 8 inches of sidewalk, for which he was compensated.
Nonetheless he said he was looking forward to the project kick-off and the day when the improvements alleviate afternoon gridlock on southbound Ohio 741.
“The light will cycle three times while you wait,” he said. “I’m just excited for when it starts.”
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS APP FOR BREAKING NEWS
2017 Warren County Road Projects
* Butterworth Road Bridge Replacement over Ertel Run, $200,000, Hamilton Twp., February
* Innovation Way Widening, $4 million, City of Mason, February
* Greentree Road at Union Road Intersection Roundabout, Bridge Replacement; $1.7 million; Turtlecreek Twp; February
* Pence Jones Road Bridge Rehabilitation, $275,000, Wayne Twp., February
* Warren County Resurfacing, $2 million, various roads, April
* Warren County Striping, $100,000, various roads, May
* Tylersville Road at Butler-Warren Road Westbound Right Turn Lane, $166,000, Deerfield Twp., June
* Zoar Road Improvements, $380,000, Hamilton Twp., June 2017
* Turtlecreek-Union Road, $350,000.00 Turtlecreek Twp., Union Twp., June
* Warren County chip seal, $500,000, various roads, June
* Ohio 73-Ohio 741 intersection, $4 million, Springboro, March
* Mason-Montgomery Road widening, $7.3 million, Deerfield Twp., April
* Duke Boulevard widening $1.7 million, Deerfield Twp., May
* Wilkens Boulevard traffic signal pole foundations, $55,000, Deerfield Twp.
* New Burlington Road bridge replacement, $350,000, Wayne Twp., summer
Source: Warren County Engineer’s Office