The 17-year-old accused of fatally shooting a DoubleTree Suites employee last week will stay in juvenile detention following his initial court appearance.
The teen, facing a murder charge, appeared in juvenile court Saturday and had a plea of denial entered on his behalf. He was appointed an attorney, court officials said.
The teen, who is not being identified, is accused of killing Jayren Graham, 19, in the Miami Twp. hotel parking lot. Graham, a dishwater at the hotel, was shot in the head, Miami Twp. police said, in the shooting reported around 11:10 p.m. at the hotel, 300 Prestige Place near the Dayton Mall.
Detectives said several leads developed that identified a possible suspect and a car involved. Both were found on Friday at a New Lebanon apartment complex, and the teen was taken into custody, Miami Twp. police said.
It's not clear what led to the shooting, however the 911 caller said he saw a vehicle come into the parking lot a few minutes before he heard the gunshot.
Police believe Graham was meeting someone in the hotel parking lot.
Magill said Graham had no criminal record with Miami Twp. and they do not know how many shots were fired.
The teen suspect is due back in court Sept. 25. It’s not clear whether prosecutors will seek to try him as an adult.
The shooting remains under investigation.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.