A trial date has been set for a teen accused of killing a Miami Twp. hotel worker in the parking lot of the Dayton Mall area business.
Larry Malcolm Sain is facing multiple counts of murder in the 2018 fatal shooting of 19-year-old Jayren Graham, a Miami Twp. resident. His trial is scheduled to start Sept. 3, according to a filing by Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Barbara Gorman.
Sain, 18, has pleaded not guilty to four murder counts, two counts of aggravated robbery, two counts of felonious assault, tampering with evidence, carrying a concealed weapon and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.
Police records indicate Sain, who has an extensive juvenile court record, had a Moraine address. But he moved from the area shortly before the shooting, officials said.
Sain was 17 on Sept. 13, when Graham was killed outside the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton off Ohio 741.
His case was transferred to adult court earlier this year after a hearing in Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi’s courtroom.
Former high school classmates testified in juvenile court Sain pulled a gun on Graham before the victim was shot in a struggle in the hotel’s parking lot with a weapon police have not found.
The former West Carrollton High School seniors, both female, said they were with the defendant and Graham, who they said died after a late-night drug deal gone bad outside the DoubleTree.
Defense attorney Patrick Mulligan has said it is not clear that his client fired the weapon. Mulligan sought to suppress Sain’s statements to police. But Gorman overruled that motion.
Sain’s juvenile record dates back about three years and involves more than 90 charges, court records show.
In previous cases, the teen was found delinquent on more than half of those charges. They range from probation violations and drug possession to theft, receiving stolen property, criminal damaging, endangering, aggravated menacing and assault, court records show.
The majority of the charges are classified as misdemeanors, court records show.
A $1 million bond has been set and Sain remains in juvenile detention.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.