Then & Now: When Courthouse Square was actually a large courthouse

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
Two court houses, standing side by side, encompassed a block of downtown Dayton for many years.

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Two court houses, standing side by side, encompassed a block of downtown Dayton for many years.

Construction on the Old Court House (left) was competed in 1850 at a cost of $100,000.

Known as one of the finest examples of Greek-Revival architecture in the nation, it was constructed from stone cut from Dayton and Centerville quarries.

Combined ShapeCaption
Courthouse Square, a popular downtown Dayton gathering spot for the community, is north of the Old Court House. LISA POWELL / STAFF

Courthouse Square, a popular downtown Dayton gathering spot for the community, is north of the Old Court House. LISA POWELL / STAFF

Combined ShapeCaption
Courthouse Square, a popular downtown Dayton gathering spot for the community, is north of the Old Court House. LISA POWELL / STAFF

A new larger court house (right) opened in 1884. It was demolished in the early 1970s as part of a downtown revitalization project.

Today the location of the former building is Courthouse Square, a popular downtown spot for live entertainment, food trucks and community gatherings.

About the Author