The Turtlecreek Twp. Fire Department was back at the Otterbein retirement campus Friday, following a fire Thursday night in the Phillippi Building. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD

Worker puts out retirement center fire in Warren County

The fire in an apartment on the 3rd floor of the Phillippi Hall building was extinguished by Craig Dill on Thursday, before the Turtlecreek Twp. Fire Department arrived about 7 p.m., according to reports.

The fire, started by a plastic tray left on a hot stove, caused extensive thick smoke, but Dill’s response with a fire extinguisher confined the fire to the stove top, according to reports.

MORE: Off-duty EMS worker praised for helping roof workers shocked by electric line

“As far as I’m concerned, he deserves a medal for bravery,” Assistant Fire Chief Mike Jameson said Friday.

One resident was treated at Atrium Medical Center and released, according to Otterbein.

Eight residents were evacuated, but returned to their rooms Friday morning.

Dill and the nursing supervisor were also treated, according to Otterbein.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X