Multiple shots, fireworks reported on night of Yellow Springs shooting

A memorial gathering was held Saturday in honor of a man who died from gunfire at an apartment in Yellow Springs, as new details emerge and the investigation into how he died continues.

The celebration of life event for 40-year-old Kenneth Livingston was held at Glen Helen’s Vernet Ecological Center.

RELATED: Yellow Springs officer faces misconduct allegations from night of fatal shooting

The investigation into Livingston’s death on Dec. 13 is ongoing by Yellow Springs police and the Greene County Coroner’s Office. Police said the next day that it appeared Livingston died of an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot.

The Dayton Daily News requested and obtained records of the investigation into Livingston’s death, including 911 calls that provide more details of what people saw that night. The village denied releasing supplemental reports from officers who were on scene “pending results from the coroner’s office, and as the investigation is still open.”

Yellow Springs dispatch call records indicate the first 911 calls were transferred from the Greene County dispatch center, and police initially received conflicting reports about what happened. Two sheriff’s deputies responded to the scene after the 911 calls came in to the Greene County dispatch center, according to the records.

There were reports that someone had been shot. One 911 call indicated a person with an AR15 was seen fleeing the location in a black Volvo. Another caller reported it was just fireworks, which prompted the dispatcher to cancel the medics responding to the scene.

A female who reported standing in a nearby parking lot when the shooting happened called twice and was the first to report the incident, according to the 911 records.

MORE: Man reportedly kills self on Facebook live after calling 911 to report he killed girlfriend and her son

During the second call, the female reported that fireworks were set off outside the apartment shortly after she heard two gunshots.

Caller: “Somebody was shot and I just want to put my report in.”

Dispatcher: “Were you there?”

Caller: “I saw what happened but I wasn’t directly there … I was in front of the apartment.”

The caller said she saw several people on a balcony and one person fell to the floor after she “saw both the bangs.” The caller reported people were “screaming and freaking out” as they exited the apartment.

Caller: “I know the difference between fireworks and a gunshot. It happened twice.”

Dispatcher: “There were two shots?”

Caller: “There was two shots, yes ma’am. And I saw both the bangs.”

The caller told the dispatcher soon after she heard the gunshots someone set off “big fireworks” nearby outside.

Caller: “I was right in front of the apartment and then somebody across the way … There was three people. There was a girl and two boys that fired off a big fireworks. And then there was more people running out of the apartment screaming and freaking out.”

The final findings from the autopsy report and the investigation have not been released.

STAY CONNECTED: Greene County News on Facebook


About the Author