Natural gas escaping from piping led to the explosion of a Middletown apartment building on Monday, officials said.
Lt. Frank Baughman, city fire marshal, said the escaped natural gas permeated the nearby apartments and that the furnace unit in apartment 422 ignited the gas, which caused the explosion about 11:30 a.m. at the Townhomes West apartment complex in the 400-block of Cribbs Avenue.
Baughman said the incident remains under investigation but criminal activity has been ruled out.
The explosion collapsed the roof of the apartment building that shot out debris into the parking lot.
One person was transported to Atrium Medical Center. At least two vehicles parked near the apartments received major damage from the flying debris.
Police said at least five of the six apartments were affected and those residents were assisted by the Butler County Red Cross.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.