Pennsylvania school closed after carbon monoxide scare

Several people were taken to hospitals after reports of a carbon monoxide issue at a Pennsylvania middle school.
Caption
Several people were taken to hospitals after reports of a carbon monoxide issue at a Pennsylvania middle school.

Credit: Wokandapix/Pixabay

Credit: Wokandapix/Pixabay

Multiple people became sick at a Pennsylvania middle school Thursday in what originally was called a carbon monoxide problem, WFMZ reported.

>> Read more trending news

Fleetwood Middle School was closed Friday after several people became ill during a dress rehearsal by the Fleetwood Community Theater group. Superintendent Greg Miller told the television station.

"One at a time, we had a few of them become ill. Not feel well, light-headedness … because of it escalating from one to the next, the director who was there did call 911 because of the quick escalation," Miller told WFMZ.

Nicholas Readinger, Fleetwood's deputy fire chief, said a sweep of the building showed no signs of carbon monoxide or other gases, the Reading Eagle reported. Readinger did say 12 student actors were taken to area hospitals, the newspaper reported.

Between 30 and 40 people were evacuated from the school after 911 was called, the Eagle reported.