Five Rivers MetroParks will spend as much as $390,465 to repair a tree tower and observation deck that closed in September after being damaged by fungal disease.
Here’s what you should know about the tower:
1. What is it? The 65-foot Observation Tree Tower at Cox Arboretum is built from a giant Douglass fir tree.
2. That view! The top observation deck offers visitors a sweeping view of the park and the Miami Valley.
3. Get your steps in. There are 81 wooden steps to reach the top above a nearby conifer tree collection.
4. Crowd funding. Funding for construction of the Tree Tower was provided by more than 400 donors through the efforts of The James M. Cox, Jr. Arboretum Foundation membership.
5. Repair efforts. Five Rivers MetroParks will spend as much as $390,465 to repair a tree tower and observation deck that closed in September, 2016 after being damaged by fungal disease.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.