Butter Cafe, the independent restaurant that has operated for eight-and-a-half years on Brown Street near the University of Dayton campus, wants to help new and returning customers keep their new year’s resolutions.
The breakfast-and-lunch destination at 1106 Brown St. in Dayton is offering a special menu for the rest of January (and maybe longer, for dishes that prove to be popular) that fit snugly into many several popular diets, from Keto to Paleo and beyond. Most of the new options are vegan or gluten-free, or can be made so, according to Butter Cafe co-founder Amy Beaver.
Beaver said the restaurant has no intention of abandoning its comfort-food concept, but wants to help customers stick to their diets in a delicious way.
Butter Cafe chef Kendall Reeves said the response so far to the special health menu has been positive.
“We’re trying to be helpful, and people appreciate that,” Reeves said.
The new items include:
- FIVE SPICE SALAD ($10): Sesame, quinoa, and arugula topped with roasted carrots, roasted BBQ tofu, spicy pickled cabbage and sliced radishes served with a lemon vinaigrette on the side.
- MINT JADE TOAST ($7): A pea and mint hummus spread over garlic pita, topped with a roasted tomato and arugula salad and feta (Can be made vegan) (Can be made Gluten free +$1).
- OVERLORD TOAST ($7): Spicy onion chutney hummus spread over grilled sourdough bread topped with raisins and cashews and micro greens with choice of side.
- BLACKBERRY OAT CAKES ($9): Two whole-grain protein-rich, gluten-free and dairy-free pancakes topped with a light ginger blackberry compote made with agave syrup.
- GREEN EGG SANDWICH ($10): Egg whites on a wheat bagel topped with a pea chimichurri, arugula and a spinach aioli with a side of potatoes
- STEAK AND EGGS ($16): Six-ounce grass-fed New York Strip steak with two cage-free eggs, seasoned potatoes and choice of toast.
- VEGAN ‘BEEF’ BURGER ($12): “Impossible” burger with lettuce, tomatoes and our house-made vegan aioli with a side of our house potatoes
- VEGAN BISCUITS & GRAVY ($10): Two vegan biscuits, served with vegan “impossible” gravy.
Butter Cafe is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday. The restaurant has suspended its late-night breakfast window that it had launched in 2018.
For more information, call (937) 985-9917 or check out the Butter Cafe Facebook page at www.facebook.com/buttercafedayton.