Here’s a breakdown of Dayton’s history against current members of the A-10. The teams are ranked by Dayton’s winning percentage against them. Dayton’s record and winning percentage against the teams are in parentheses:
1. Fordham (32-6, .842): The Rams and Flyers joined the A-10 in the same season (1995-96). Dayton has lost four times at Fordham’s Rose Hill Gym since then (1996, 2000, 2006 and 2021).
2. St. Bonaventure (28-10, .737): Dayton extended its winning streak against the Bonnies to seven games with a 68-50 victory last week at UD Arena. This series began on Dec. 18, 1948 at the Olean Armory.
3. George Mason (10-4, .714): The teams first met in 2007. Dayton fell to 4-3 at EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, Va., with a 50-49 loss Saturday.
Dayton Flyers highlights: 17-3 run vs. Duquesne on Jan. 15, 2022
4. Duquesne (58-24, .707): Dayton played Duquesne for the first time two days after it played Fordham for the first time in 1953. The Dukes have never won more than two games in a row in the series. Dayton won 16 in a row from 1997-2004. Dayton won 72-52 on Jan. 15 in Pittsburgh, and the teams meet again Feb. 9 at UD Arena.
5. Richmond (20-9, .690): Dayton has won eight straight games in the series since losing 73-64 at the Robins Center in 2014. The Spiders are 1-13 at UD Arena since the series began in 2001. Their only victory came in 2011 (70-61).
6. La Salle (29-17, .630): The Explorers ended Dayton’s 20-game A-10 winning streak a year ago with a 67-65 victory. They also ended a 14-game losing streak at UD Arena. They had not won in Dayton since Feb. 27, 1999. Dayton and La Salle first played in the NIT in 1952.
Dayton Flyers highlights: Second-half run vs. Saint Louis on Jan. 11, 2022
7. Saint Louis (39-28, .582): Since losing seven times in a nine-game stretch starting in 2009, Dayton has 14 victories in 17 games against the Billikens. That includes a 68-63 victory on Jan. 11. The programs, who first met in 1952, play in St. Louis on Feb. 5.
8. Rhode Island (23-18, .561): Dayton first played Rhode Island and Saint Joseph’s in the 1939-40 season, making those two programs its oldest A-10 rivals. Dayton and Rhode Island didn’t play again until 1996. The Flyers and Rams split eight games in the regular season in Grant’s first four seasons.
9. Davidson (6-5, .545): The programs first played in 1969 and met two other times (1972 and 1973) before Davidson joined the A-10 in the 2014-15 season. Since then, Davidson is 2-6 against Dayton. It beat the Flyers 77-60 at Belk Arena in 2015 and won 73-67 in the A-10 tournament in 2017 in Pittsburgh. Dayton has won the last four games in the series. That includes an 89-78 overtime victory at Davidson last season. The teams don’t meet until the final game of the regular season this year: March 5 at UD Arena.
Dayton Flyers highlights: UD makes 8 3s vs. George Washington on Jan. 8, 2022
10. George Washington (20-17, .541): This is another series that started when Dayton joined the A-10 in 1996. The Flyers picked up their fourth straight victory against GW on Jan. 8: 83-58 in Washington, D.C.
11. Saint Joseph’s (23-20, .535): Dayton hasn’t won more than two games in a row against the Hawks since it won three straight from 2002-03. Dayton won 80-67 at Hagan Arena in Philadelphia in 2020. It was its first victory there in 20 years. It returned to Hagan last season and lost 97-84.
12. Massachusetts (16-14, .533): UMass coach Matt McCall beat his mentor, Dayton coach Anthony Grant, twice in 2017-18, their first seasons. Dayton then swept two games from UMass in each of the next seasons. They didn’t play last season because of COVID-19 reasons and don’t play this season until Feb. 23 at UD Arena. The Flyers and Minutemen first played in 1996, Dayton’s first season in the A-10.
13. Virginia Commonwealth (7-15, .318): No A-10 team owns Dayton like VCU, which has won eight of the last 10 games in the series since a 106-79 loss at UD Arena in 2018. Dayton has lost five games by five points or fewer to VCU in the last five seasons, including a 53-52 loss on Jan. 5.
Fordham at Dayton, 7 p.m., Spectrum News 1, 1290, 95.7
Dayton Flyers highlights: VCU wins on last-second shot on Jan. 5, 2022