Court docs: Man knocked security guard unconscious, attacked Dayton fire personnel

Credit: Larry Price

Credit: Larry Price

A man is facing charges after he reportedly beat a security guard unconscious and potentially blinded her Saturday before attacking responding Dayton firefighters, according to court records released Tuesday.

Bond was set at $750,000 for James Timothy Fickling, 25, of Springfield during his arraignment Tuesday in Dayton Municipal Court for three counts of kidnapping, two counts of assault on a peace officer and one count each of felonious assault and attempt to commit felonious assault.

The incident started around 5 p.m. Saturday after Fickling entered the Premier Health Center building at 110 N. Main St., took off his pants and pulled the fire alarm, according to an affidavit.

A 66-year-old security guard came to investigate when Fickling reportedly attacked her.

“Fickling ultimately knocked (the security guard) down to the floor,” the affidavit read. “He then drug her to the center of the hallway, where he rendered her unconscious by striking her eight times in the face with jumping knee strikes.”

While she was unconscious, he attacked her face and eyes, according to court documents.

When Dayton Fire Department crews arrived in response to the fire alarm — which was determined to be a false alarm — Fickling also fought with them. Most of the attacks on the security guard and fire personnel were captured on surveillance video.

One of the crew members, a fire captain, had his face and eyes attacked, according to court records.

The fire department issued a “Signal 99″ request for emergency assistance, prompting police and additional fire crews to respond.

During Fickling’s arrest, he reportedly tried to bite a Dayton police officer on the leg.

The security guard and two Dayton fire personnel were transported to the hospital.

Dayton police Lt. Steven Bauer confirmed Monday the fire personnel had been released from the hospital.

The security guard was in serious condition as of Monday. Hospital staff indicated she may have been permanently blinded during the attack, according to court documents.

Staff Writer Holly Souther contributed to this report.

About the Author