Ohio’s schools may have to remain closed for the remainder of the school year due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said today in an interview with CNN.
DeWine last week ordered all Ohio K-12 schools to shut down for three weeks starting Monday, March 16.
>> ALSO NEW TODAY: Dayton-area hospitals restrict visitors amid coronavirus outbreak
But in an interview with CNN this morning, March 15, DeWine replied “Absolutely, absolutely” when asked whether there is a possibility schools will have to remain closed through the end of the school year.
DeWine said expert projections suggest the virus spread may not peak until late April or May.
“We’ve informed the superintendents that while we closed school for three weeks, that the odds are, this is going to go on a lot longer, and it would not surprise me at all if the schools did not reopen again this year,” the governor said.
In addition, DeWine on Sunday ordered all bars and the dine-in service at all Ohio restaurants to cease operations as of 9 p.m. Sunday night, March 15. Carryout and delivery services will still be allowed.
We are working to bring you more developments in the coronavirus outbreak and Ohio’s response to it.
About the Author