Lyn Grant has gotten comfortable during the nearly 40 years she has lived in Kettering.
But she's not naive enough to allow her comfort to lull her into unrealistic feelings of safety.
"I've notice the neighborhood changing a little bit," Grant told News Center 7's Lauren Clark on Monday evening. "We had a car stolen once."
To keep tabs on her neighborhood and its surroundings, Grant said she'll probably make use of a new online crime-mapping tool the police department is offering in partnership with LexisNexis Risk Solutions "to be aware, to be on the lookout."
The tool, Community Crime Map, makes information easily available for Grant and her neighbors who want to monitor crime.
According to Kettering police officials, Grant and people like her inspired the department to partner with LexisNexis to create the crime-mapping tool.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Find out what happened to resident who shot an intruder
It's easy to use:
* Either enter your ZIP code or select OH-Kettering from the pull down list of communities
* You can also search by date range and event
* All incidents in the area you select will display on the map by type of crime
* The Data Grid tab displays crime information by incident type, date, location
* The Analytics tab displays graphs and charts of crimes by type, by day of the week and time of day
* In the top right corner of the page, you can sign up for daily, weekly or monthly crime alerts by incident type
Residents also can sign up to receive crime alerts and neighborhood watch email reports of recent crimes from the police department.
Miami Twp. recently contracted with LexisNexis to provide the service. Troy in Miami County and Bellbrook in Greene County are doing the same.
If your community has partnered with LexisNexis, you too can find out crime data for where you live.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.