Jacob Gudorf of Brookville High School became the Blue Devils’ all-time leader in career assists in Saturday’s 75-45 defeat of visiting Tri-County North in a non-league boys basketball game. The 6-foot-3 senior surpassed the previous record of 369 that was shared by former Brookville standouts Ritchie Moody and Steve Hinton.
No surprise that Gudorf leads the Southwestern Buckeye League in assists (7.1). He’s done that two out of the last three seasons.
»» RELATED: Butler gets defensive at Fairborn
»» PHOTOS: Butler at Fairborn boys basketball
Brookville’s lineup is loaded with Wade Turner (15.5 points), Gudorf (15.4) and A.J. Eller (10.3). Brookville (10-1, 4-1) owns a half-game lead over Bellbrook (4-4, 3-1) in the SWBL Southwestern Division and visits Bellbrook on Friday.
• Kenton Ridge senior Mikala Morris went for a career-high 44 points in a 75-33 defeat of visiting Springfield Shawnee on Saturday. That surpassed her previous all-time best of 40 points against Ponitz her junior season.
Morris has reset many all-time and single-season Kenton Ridge scoring and rebounding records. The 6-2 center signed with Quinnipiac (Conn.).
»» FACEBOOK: For more sports you should like Marc Pendleton
»» TWITTER: You should like @MarcPendleton
• Covington senior Samantha Whiteman tallied 24 points in a 60-50 defeat of host Arcanum on Saturday. That set up a great Cross County Conference girls basketball showdown when Covington (12-1, 7-0) visits Tri-Village (11-1, 6-0) on Wednesday. Tri-Village was scheduled to host Preble Shawnee on Monday.
• Oakwood had three individual firsts and placed third behind winner Ryle (Ky.) and Wilmington at the 11-team Bellbrook wrestling invite on Saturday. Winning for the Lumberjacks were A.J. Lewandowski (132), Matthew Cunningham (182) and Carter Winch (220).
• Brookville had three individual winners and won the 11-team Milton-Union wrestling invite, 267-224.5 over runner-up Coldwater. Brookville champions were Mason Esterline (132), Devon Myers (145) and Chase Dyer (182).
»» RELATED: Centerville takes out Kenton Ridge
»» PHOTOS: Centerville at Kenton Ridge girls basketball
• Covington crowned five individual winners to make a strong showing and win the 14-team Troy wrestling invitational, 241.5-161.5 over runner-up Miami East.
Winning for the Buccaneers were Kellan Anderson (106), Cael Vanderhorst (113), Austin Flick (138), Keringten Martin (152) and Duncan Cooper (170).
• Graham collected nine individual firsts to win the Valley View wrestling invite, 311.5-210 over runner-up Versailles.
Winning for Graham were Nolan Gessler (106), Trace Braun (113), Chris Kelly (126), Nick Moore (132), Alek Martin (138), Jeffrey Thomas (152), Isaiah Stickley (160), William Mannier (195) and Trey Pence (220).
»» RELATED: Tipp football coach resigns after 4 seasons
»» RELATED: “Fire” fuels Stivers boys
• Butler defeated host Lakota West 54-24 in a dual wrestling meet. Winning by pin for the Aviators were Matt Verdes (138), Jestin Love (160) and Chase Turner (285). Love was the quickest, needing just 29 seconds.
• Tyrone Keeton of West Carrollton swept all four of his matches to win the 132-pound title at the 16-team Logan Elm wrestling invite.
• Tecumseh was boosted by five individual wrestling winners to place first in the eight-team Clark County Clash at Springfield Shawnee. Winning for the Arrows were Lucas Rodgers (132), Cyle Wells (138), Joey Campbell (145), Alec Hall (160) and Tommy Rowe (182).
»» RELATED: Alter football assistant “will be missed”
»» RELATED: Boys basketball power rankings
Tecumseh out-pointed runner-up Greenon 210-174.5. Among upcoming wrestling events are Saturday’s tournaments at Fairfield, Miamisburg and Middletown.
• Miamisburg freshman Molly Witzerman won the floor exercise and balance beam and was third in vault and bars to place first in all-around and lead Miamisburg to a season-opening team title at the Oak Hills gymnastics invite. Miamisburg junior Keala McCurry was first on vault.
»» PHOTOS: Tippecanoe at Fairmont girls basketball
»» PHOTOS: GMVWA Holiday Tournament, Day 2
»» RELATED: Streaking Fairmont girls take out Tipp
»» RELATED: Tecumseh record-setter on a pin mission
»» PHOTOS: GMVWA Holiday Tournament
»» FOOTBALL: Channell resigns as Miamisburg coach
»» RELATED: Holiday tourney a match for area wrestlers
»» RELATED: Family connection for Springfield wrestler
»» GRAHAM COACH: “It’s a blast and I’m loving it”
»» RELATED: Girls basketball power rankings
»» RELATED: Northmont pair headed to Big Ten
»» PHOTOS: Signing day at Northmont
»» RELATED: Football signees, who’s going where
»» RELATED: Butler tagged with first loss in OT to Sidney
»» PHOTOS: Sidney at Butler, boys basketball
»» RELATED: No. 1 Elks defeat No. 2 Warriors
»» PHOTOS: Wayne at Centerville, girls basketball
»» RELATED: Unbeaten CJ defeats rival Alter
»» RELATED: Unbeaten Trotwood overwhelms Xenia
»» PHOTOS: Xenia at Trotwood-Madison, boys hoop
»» RELATED: More shakeup for the GWOC
»» RELATED: GWOC membership votes Trotwood-Madison out
»» RELATED: Trotwood-Madison voted out of GWOC
»» PHOTOS: Butler at Northmont, boys basketball
»» RELATED: Two more added to 50-plus club
»» RELATED: UC lands Xenia standout
»» RELATED: List of area seniors who signed
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.