Jason Eckert spends his days helping people find work.
Eckert is director of the University of Dayton Career Services Office, which provides free services to students and alumni.
Here are 7 of his best tips for getting a job.
1. Your resume and cover letter should contain key words, which you will find in the job description. Both your letter and resume should be targeted specifically to each job you are applying for.
2. Inappropriate photos or comments on your social media accounts can disqualify you from the get go. Delete all of that and make sure all of your accounts present you in a positive light.
3. LinkedIn is a key resource for companies looking for new employees so make sure you have a strong profile summary and headline.
4. Use online resources to research the company, the specific job opening and anything you can determine about the culture and atmosphere at the firm. If possible find someone who works at the company to talk to.
5. If you get to do an interview by phone or in-person be sure to ask questions and be enthusiastic about the job.
6. First impressions matter so dress up for your interview, arrive 15 minutes early, be polite to everyone you meet and remember names.
7. Send a well-crafted thank you note after the interview.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.