The COVID-19 pandemic economic crisis threw millions out of work but as the economy improves and vaccination rates rise, more jobs are opening up.
Here are some things to know about finding work and job training that will make you more competitive in your job hunt.
1. Job and family services offices in each county and the state offer robust resources linking people with jobs and training. The state’s newly redesigned portal is at OhioMeansJobs.com.
2. Money is available to help income-eligible people and dislocated workers get training through government-funded programs offered by state and county governments. Businesses can also get training money.
3. Become proficient at networking online, including on LinkedIn, to find companies and organizations you are interested in. Set up alerts on all job websites and be ready to apply quickly.
4. Practice doing job interviews and be comfortable with video conferencing as you likely will have to do video-based interviews.
5. “Set aside time each day to focus on applications and additional networking,” said Jason Eckert, executive director of career services at the University of Dayton. “The old expression is true: Searching for a new job is itself a job.”
SEE all the Dayton Daily News Path Forward stories on workforce training in the pandemic era:
Job openings plentiful, workers scarce: ‘It’s all hands on deck to get people trained’
How one local business is getting its workers trained
High tech and health top job ads for Dayton region
Driver’s license, security clearances top certification requirements for Dayton region jobs
Trucking and nursing job ads dominate online ads
Many local jobs posted require more than high school degree
5 things to know: Finding a job, training in the pandemic era
Some employers offering $16 an hour for entry level work in Dayton region
Help wanted: Operations, analysis, innovation among the top skills needed in Dayton region
PHOTOS: Helping people get jobs and training is essential in pandemic era
Follow Lynn Hulsey on Twitter and Facebook
About the Author